Monday, September 21, 2009

The next marathon

The results are in for the theme of the next marathon once we finish up with French films from female European directors. Claiming top spot, and rather easily at that, was 'Queer in Film'. This is a genre I know nothing about, so this should be intriguing... By the way, I hesitated to call that option 'queer in film'. I thought that maybe we would be beyond the stage where that is still considered a genre of its own, and instead simply recognize that some movies have gay leading characters and actors. But, stereotypes got the better of me. You know where to send the hate mail!

Coming in second place was my darling 'Maggie Cheung'. She put up a good fight, but it just wasn't enough.

In third place was 'comic book' films, which has gotten crushed both times it was an option in polls, so don't expect to see it again any time soon. A shame, I would have loved the opportunity to go to bat for the much maligned X-Men Origins: Wolverine

In fourth place was 'Steven Spielberg'. A great, great director, but I guess there are enough blogs that already discuss his work, so this ranking wasn't a huge suprise.

Coming last, well, some bloke still wanted more reviews of 2009 releases. Don't know who you are, but sorry buddy. Maybe in December.

No comments: